Photo Gallery 2 Images
WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - We are learning more about what led Vigo County School Corporation officials to hold students from dismissal at Consolidated Elementary School in West Terre Haute.
On Monday, the Vigo County Sheriff's Office says a man went to the West Terre Haute Police Department with a gunshot wound to the leg.
The victim - along with witnesses told police it happened at a home on 3627 West Woodland Drive in West Terre Haute. The victim told police he went to the property to find a stolen four-wheeler.
On Tuesday, the sheriff's office obtained and performed an arrest and search warrant. They asked for the Terre Haute Police Department's Special Response Team to help with the arrest.
Police said they arrested 30-year-old John Cooper for the shooting without any issues.
School officials decided to keep students in the school because the home was so close to Consolidated.
The victim in the shooting was treated and released from an area hospital.
Cooper is facing charges of criminal recklessness with a firearm, pointing a firearm, and aggravated battery.
- Police make arrest in connection to Monday shooting in West Terre Haute, prompting Tuesday school dismissal delay
- Board votes to dismiss West Terre Haute Police Officer
- Suspect arrested in connection with October shooting in Terre Haute
- Man wanted in connection to Terre Haute shooting arrested
- Two people arrested in connection to Terre Haute shooting
- School board makes West Terre Haute easement official
- West Terre Haute Police Department makes donation to community center
- Terre Haute man charged in connection to Monday morning chase
- West Terre Haute Police Officer arrested on domestic battery charge
- Terre Haute Police investigate Tuesday morning stabbing