VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) – The search continues for the new superintendent of Vigo County Schools.
Monday night, school board members officially hired the University Placement Team to help with the search.
The team is made up of four professors from four state universities in Indiana.
Dr. Terry McDaniel represents Indiana State University. He was at Monday’s meeting to bring others up to speed on what’s currently happening and what to expect regarding the search process.
“The board has already looked at the application, we have a template that we use in terms of the application,” he said, “They’ve looked at that, they’ve started identifying questions that they want on the application. We asked for attributes that were put on the application as well, what you want in your superintendent and they’ve identified some of those.”
McDaniel says the board has also looked at sample surveys, which he expects the board to decide on very soon, as well as the advertisement of the position.
The search to replace current Superintendent Dr. Danny Tanoos will be nationwide, McDaniel says.
In order to find the best candidate for the job, McDaniel says they’ll be looking at a variety of factors such as traits like honesty and integrity, as well as knowledge of budgets, referendums and facilities.
“Mainly we look at the people skills as well,” he added, “A good superintendent, as Dr. Tanoos has done very well, communicates with their people, listens to what they have to say and acts in that manner.”
In the search to find Tanoos’ replacement, McDaniel says it’s important that residents of Vigo County become engaged with the process.
“A school can’t survive without the community,” he said, “Students can’t progress without the community being behind them and parents supporting the school and what they’re doing.”
McDaniel says they anticipate to post the application in March for about a month.
- School board hires University Placement Team for superintendent search
- University Placement Team to meet with Vigo School Board on Tuesday
- VCSC board hears concerns regarding superintendent search
- Hiring process for next Vigo Schools Superintendent already underway
- Brick placement ceremony honors local veterans
- Public input needed in VCSC superintendent search
- THFD stresses the importance of smoke detector placement
- ISU Prof: Vigo School Board will have "some really good choices" for next superintendent
- School board president "very pleased" with their choice of new superintendent
- Vigo County School board holds public hearing over superintendent contract proposal