BRAZIL, Ind. (WTHI)- Tuesday’s fire at the Meridian Towers killed one and injured two others. It also left more than 60 people without a home.
Residents still remember the events that unfolded last week. While some were not home, others remember escaping the building. Like Sharon Neese who was in the building with her daughter.
"My daughter and I were in our apartment when I heard the alarm. I went out in the hallway and I heard it say stay calm, stay where you're at. Came back in and said Christy, we need to go downstairs," said Neese.
After four full days of clean up and repairs, the towers are back open. Dozens who call this place home returned with family and pets. Even though the memories of the tragedy still remain many are happy to see the hard work to restore the building.
"Just grateful to be back home and that we have a home to come to. They did a wonderful job. There's no smoke smell, but there’s no damage in my apartment," said Neese.
Neighboring apartments and the American Red Cross helped house those who were in need of shelter. Some of the tenants also qualified for casework for those who lost more from the fire.
George Shepard helped out with those others needing extra help as well as help run a temporary shelter. It’s something that he and the Red Cross is happy to help with.
"Well somebody has to do it and its one of those things where we have the opportunity, the training and the will to go out in weather like this and help clients when they have a problem," said Shepard.
Though their lives at meridian towers may never be the same, thanks to the love and support from their community residents feel no matter the disaster they'll never be alone.
"Just trust in your fellow man because there will be somebody there for you. There will be," said Neese.
The cause of Tuesday’s fire is still under investigation. News 10 will keep you posted with any updates as they develop.
- Residents return to Meridian Towers after fatal fire
- Brazil Chief releases cause of fatal Meridian Towers fire
- Coroner identifies victim of Meridian Tower fire
- One dead, two hurt after fire in Meridian Towers in Brazil
- More than 60 people forced from their homes in Brazil after fire at Meridian Towers
- One killed in fire at Trump Tower in New York
- Raccoon scales Minnesota office tower, captivating public
- Two arrested after shots fired at residence
- "She was just a good friend to everybody..." residents talk about victim of fatal Brazil apartment fire
- Newton helps residents renovate