WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- The city of West Terre Haute is still feeling the affects of the heavy rainfall. All the flooding now has residents dealing with bigger issues.
Carl Marshall's home has sat on south 7th street in West Terre Haute for nearly 75 years. About 2 inches of water covers several parts of his lawn.
"It's been like this ever since," Marshall said.
The water keeps Marshall on his toes. He built a wooden bridge to travel in and out of his home.
"It is not coming from on top of the ground," he said. "It's coming from under it and you can't stop it."
The overflowing of water is an ongoing issue that now has The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) stepping in.
Shane Smith, the town board president, is helping to fix the water problem.
"The plant wasn't designed to handle all the extra water," Smith said.
Sewer lids are bubbling up. Smith says there is a lot of water underground. But, the main issue is residents are using sub-pumps to remove water from their basements. He says this is what is causing the sewer pipes to overload.
"Everybody in the town starts pumping water out of their basement," Smith said. "And, instead of pumping it into the streets they pump it into the sewer and that overloads our sewer plant."
IDEM inspected the area on March 4. They notified Smith about some water issues. Smith says a project is currently in the works. He says he is working with HWC Engineering to figure out how they can slow the water down.
The town has 30 days to submit a plan of action to the state.
- Residents deal with wastewater problem
- City of Sullivan shares wastewater improvement plans
- City of Sullivan faces expensive wastewater issue
- Clinton wastewater project phase II begins along Main Street next week
- FBI returns documents taken in Wastewater Treatment Plant raid to the city of Terre Haute
- Newton helps residents renovate
- Does Terre Haute have an image problem?
- Winter weather leads to pothole problems
- Resident reacts to nearby manhunt
- Shelburn residents under boil order