VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- School was out for Presidents' Day but the Terre Haute South Vigo High School parking lot was full and the halls were filled with people in mourning.
Many gathered to say goodbye to a classmate. Junior Jenna Perrelle was killed in a car accident last week. Visitation took place inside the high school Monday.
Others gathered at the site of the crash Monday. That's where a memorial has been erected.
We're told those close to Perrelle called her "JK." They describe her as a "goof-ball" and say she put a smile on anyone's face.
We talked with Perrelle's softball coach. He says hearing the news was like a "shockwave through the heart" but that he'll always cherish the time he had knowing her.
"She's a little girl that everybody truly loved and I mean she was she was the best. I just can't say enough good things about Jenna k she's the reason and a lot of people she'll put a smile on your face anytime and uh you cannot replace Jenna," Donnie Cotrell, Parrelle's softball coach said. "There are holes in everybody's heart."
Counselors will be available to meet with students when they return to class on Tuesday. The Hamilton Center also providing additional counselors at Terre Haute South Vigo High School, Terre Haute North Vigo High School, and Honey Creek Middle School.
- Remembering a life lost too soon
- Ceremony honors lives lost, remembers lives freed from Nazis
- Remember Sabrina Stauffenberg
- Remembering Robert "Paulie" Olson
- Shelburn man remembers Pearl Harbor
- Photos: Remembering Officer Rob Pitts
- Lost Creek Elementary holds Veterans Day program
- Lost Creek Elementary holds annual Christmas program
- Vigo County Bicentennial: Finding the Lost Creek
- Loved ones remember local Terre Haute musician