TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A proposed increase to Vigo County's local income tax includes a portion that will benefit all taxing entities in the county that provide public safety. The total proposed increase is for .75%. This includes a .25% Public Safety Tax. The Vigo County Commissioners say the county will use its portion of Public Safety Tax dollars to staff a new Vigo County Jail. The majority of the tax increase will be used to pay off bonds that will fund construction of a new jail.
This includes a .20% correctional facilites tax, as well as a .25% special purpose tax. Both taxes will "sunset" or go away once the jail's bonds are paid off in 20 years.
- Proposed increase to Vigo income tax includes public safety tax
- Vigo County Council could vote on income tax increase for proposed new jail on Tuesday
- Two Wabash Valley counties will see income tax rate increase
- "Exhausting" public hearing on Vigo County Jail wraps up, concerns with public safety portion of tax increase
- After nearly five hours, Vigo County Council votes to increase income tax to fund new jail
- Senate committee approves Vigo Food & Beverage Tax proposal
- Vigo County leaders discuss proposed food and beverage tax
- "Wallets are going to get lighter..." Vigo County income tax is on the rise
- Vigo County property tax deadline nearing
- Vigo County Food and Beverage tax increase one step closer to reality