VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The projected operating costs for the proposed new Vigo County Jail have gone up according to a new study released by Vigo County Commissioners.
It says operating expenses will cost nearly $7 million, an increase of more than $2.5 million from our current costs.
Commissioner Brad Anderson says payroll is the biggest change.
Previous costs didn't include 27 additional jail staffers.
Anderson told us this isn't really an unexpected change.
The estimate includes utility expenses as well.
Anderson said in reality, that cost may go down.
"We're also hoping the efficiencies in the new building...because of the newness and LED lighting and water heating and stuff, will also bring those down too," Anderson said.
The county also expects to save up to $500,000 on housing costs.
That's because inmates won't be shipped out to other counties.
- Projected operating expenses for new Vigo County Jail goes up by millions
- What's next for the Vigo County jail project?
- Vigo County Jail project takes center stage at commissioner meeting
- Vigo County commissioners approve bids for new jail project
- Ground breaks on $15.6 million Greene County Jail project
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- Study underway at the Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Vigo County gets extension in jail lawsuit
- Update on new Vigo County jail location