TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A collective impact project is underway in Vigo county to help students prepare for life after high school.
The Indiana Youth Institute is one of a hundred and twenty-eight entities in Vigo county serving children in some way.
CEO Tami Silverman explains if more groups with similar missions deliberately work together more will see success.
Silverman says IYI, the school district and other stakeholders are in the early stages of a two year collective impact project. The goal is to help students get ready for college. She adds this goes beyond collaboration.
"First defined by the Stanford Social Innovation Review in 2011, this framework brings together multi-sector stakeholders with a shared desire to address a complex issue."
"The collective impact framework offers a fundamentally different approach based on discipline, high performance and constant adaptability. Stanford’s model outlines five key conditions that differentiate the approach from other collaborations or partnerships: a common agenda, shared measurement systems, mutually reinforcing activities, continuous communication, and the presence of a backbone organization."
"Experts stress that three conditions must be in place before launching a collective impact initiative: an influential area champion, adequate financial resources and a sense of urgency for change. There must also be a core understanding that collective impact work takes time, patience and financial resources."
"We actually need to hear from those service recipients to say what works best for you, what services do you need, what were the struggles that you or your child or your family had along this pathway so that we can make sure that we're providing a direct response."
Silverman says they'll be monitoring the progress of the Vigo county project.
For more information about IYI, click here.
- Project underway to help Vigo county students prepare for college
- Beekeepers' Spring preparations underway
- Grant dollars to help Vigo County students prepare for colleges and careers
- Study underway at the Vigo County Jail
- Vincennes Main street project underway
- Vigo County Highway Department Prepares for Winter
- Jury selection underway for criminal confinement trial in Vigo County
- Plans underway for a new Menards in southern Vigo County
- Chip and seal project underway in three Wabash Valley counties
- Great Start Boot Camp prepares college students for the workforce