TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - All Terre Haute Street Department employees will be filling potholes for the foreseeable future.
That's according to the department's foreman, who spoke with News 10 on Monday. It's also in response to the dozens of potholes reported to the city's 311 Citizen Contact Center.
Bobby Deakins found a massive pothole trying to get to his son early Sunday morning. Ironically, his son had also hit a pothole on Fruitridge, a city a street littered with potholes. Bobby told us the pothole caused $200 worth of damage.
"We just got the car in December," Bobby told us. "It doesn't even have 5,000 miles on it."
The Street Department found and filled this pothole on Monday afternoon. So far, the city has used 75 tons of cold patch to fill potholes this winter. That's double what the department typically uses.
So why are we seeing more potholes this winter? The Street Department says it starts with the sub-zero weather we saw earlier this winter.
"When you get below freezing like that, then you get a 30 degree temperature swing, you get the expansion and contraction of the asphalt, with the compact soil underneath," said Bryan Driskill of THSD, "and then we got all of that rain on top of it, and it just makes things worse."
Driskill said six crews will be out everyday filling potholes. Meanwhile, Bobby has filed a claim with the city in hopes of being reimbursed.
"They're going to send me a form," Bobby said. He has to send that form back along with two estimates.
- Potholes keep popping up in Terre Haute
- A bumpy ride: Reporting potholes in Terre Haute
- Crews hard at working filling potholes in Terre Haute
- Terre Haute groom surprised by 'pop-up' wedding
- Pothole season is back and it's already causing headaches for Terre Haute drivers
- Local business expanding and bringing Terre Haute a new pop up restaurant
- More sculpted Coca-Cola bottles will start popping up around Terre Haute
- New stores popping up in Terre Haute: What this could mean for the economy
- Potholes causing headaches for drivers
- #ConfirmKavanaugh makes Terre Haute stop