VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Police in Vigo County have a warning for you.
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office has received multiple reports of a scam targeting Duke Energy customers.
Deputies say the callers claim you have an outstanding balance on your bill...and then threaten to disconnect your service if you don't pay.
They are requesting payment in the form of gift cards.
That request is a red flag that the call is a scam.
Police say always check the number if you don't recognize it.
You can report scam calls anytime to the Triad Scam Line at 812-231-1430.
- Police warn Duke Energy customers about gift card scam
- Duke Energy customers set record for energy usage
- Duke Energy issues warning after scammers try to rip off customers
- Duke Energy implodes generating station chimney
- State regulators approve Duke Energy rate reduction
- Duke Energy set to undergo substation improvements
- Grandma scammed out of 8K in gift card scheme
- Accident on E. Rio Grande takes out Duke Energy pole; will impact customers in the area
- Duke Energy vendor’s hack may mean stolen customer bank info
- Duke Energy: Scheduled power outage for certain customers in North Terre Haute area