Photo Gallery 3 Images
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - One person is dead after a barricade situation in Terre Haute.
The almost three-hour standoff happened at a KFC on Terre Haute’s northside. It is located at the intersection of Lafayette Avenue and Fort Harrison Road.
The situation began when Terre Haute Police responded to a call that an employee at the KFC was threatening other employees with a pair of scissors. Soon, everyone had left the building and the employee had barricaded himself inside alone.
Police and the Special Response Team were surrounding the area. They placed a phone inside the building and repeatedly told the employee over the megaphone to talk to them. Police said, “We aren’t going anywhere. We will not come after you, we just need you to talk to us so we can help you out.” They insisted on resolving the situation peacefully and safely for all involved.
Once the employee stopped responding, they were concerned for his safety. Police entered the KFC to find the employee on the ground unresponsive. They immediately transported him to a nearby hospital.
Terre Haute Police Officer Ryan Adamson says the safety of the subject is the most important thing. This is why they took the methodical approach they did.
“When a person is alone, time is on our side and it’s on their side too. There’s no need for us to ever force an issue and make something worse than what it already is,” Adamson explained, “We have several ways of communicating with people and if we can do that, and end things peacefully, that’s what we are trying to do at the end of the day.”
Police say first responders acted quickly to treat the employee when he was found inside, however, he did die as a result of self-inflicted injuries. Police are not releasing his name.
- Man at the center of Terre Haute KFC standoff dead
- Man at the center of Terre Haute standoff charged
- New details released after Terre Haute standoff
- Terre Haute standoff ends, suspect 'secure'
- Man accused at being the center of Terre Haute standoff gets court date
- KFC partners with Beyond Meat
- UPDATE: One Arrested after Terre Haute Standoff Situation
- Police identify suspect involved in three-hour Terre Haute standoff
- Terre Haute warming center filled to capacity
- Plasma donation center opens in Terre Haute