TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Police are asking for your help after someone reportedly stole a car with two young children inside.
It happened on February 24th at the Dollar General at 1168 Lafayette Avenue in Terre Haute.
After seeing the two kids in the back, police say the suspect parked the car and felt with the kids unharmed.
It's news that strikes fear into many. One of those being local mother Rachel Fishback says she can understand leaving the car running to warm it up, but never leaving her child in it.
"I think as a mother I can understand somebody doing that but I also know the importance of no matter how quick you go in, you always have to take your child," said Fishback.
The Terre Haute Police Department is still looking into what happened but it's a situation that isn't uncommon. Especially when it comes to people trying to warm up their vehicles.
"Almost 50% of stolen vehicles happen while they're running predominantly in the winter time. There was one not too long ago at Baeslers Market where a gentlemen left his vehicle running because his dog was in the car. He was in Baeslers for a quick minute came out and his vehicle was gone," said THPD Public Information Officer Ryan Adamson.
Police say the suspect took the vehicle from the parking lot while two children were inside.
Those kids were five and six-years-old.
Police say the vehicle was found shortly after, and the kids were unharmed.
If you have any information, you are asked to contact police at 812-244-2626. From there ask to talk to the detective involved in the case.
- Police say someone stole an SUV with two young children inside from Terre Haute dollar store parking lot
- Terre Haute man charged after police say he stole a vehicle and broke into store
- New dollar store opens inside Honey Creek Mall
- Terre Haute department store closing up shop
- News store opens in Terre Haute
- New flooring store opens in Terre Haute
- New dollar store could be on the way to Terre Haute's north side
- Terre Haute man facing charges in two counties after police report he stole a vehicle
- Santa's reindeer visit Terre Haute Children's Museum
- Does downtown Terre Haute need parking meters?