UPDATE: Owen Co officials tell our partner station, FOX59 in Indianapolis, that the SWAT situation has been resolved.
Our Indianapolis affiliate says the Sheriff tells friend on the scene the wife who was held hostage for 30+ hours is OK & recovering at local hospital.
Police say suspect was shot to death by a tactical SWAT team member
News 10 will continue to follow this story and bring more details as they become available.
OWEN COUNTY, Ind. – A SWAT standoff and hostage situation is underway in northern Owen County our partner station, FOX 59 in Indianapolis first reported.
The scene is at a home on Kinnickinnick Ridge, north of Spencer and south of Cloverdale. The standoff began Thursday night and Indiana State Police emphasized the general public was not in danger.
More than a dozen cars from the Owen County Sheriff’s Office and Indiana State Police lined the street, along with an ambulance. Police have not said how many hostages are in the home.
The circumstances leading up to the standoff are unclear at this time. Family friends on the scene told FOX59 a man is holding his wife hostage and that at least two kids were released safely.
It has lasted for more than 16 hours. The negotiation process has been very slow, police say.
This is a developing story.
- UPDATE: Owen Co Sheriff: Spencer SWAT situation resolved
- Suspect killed after 31-hour SWAT standoff in Owen County identified
- Help animals rescued from hoarding situation in Owen County
- Large police presence reported in Owen County in response to SWAT standoff
- New details released after Owen County Standoff
- UPDATE: One Arrested after Terre Haute Standoff Situation
- Barricade situation ends early Thursday
- Power issues resolved at Regional Hospital in Terre Haute
- Schools face concerns after active shooter situation
- Suspect in barricade situation enters plea agreement