TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Indiana State Police are in charge of the police shooting investigation that happened Thursday night.
They want to make sure this investigation gets done thoroughly.
Police say the shooting happened around midnight at the Circle K gas station near the Rose-Hulman campus.
According to ISP, Terre Haute Police officers conducted a routine traffic stop.
Police say during the stop a physical altercation started between officers and a passenger in the vehicle. That passenger was identified as Jeremy Ross. That is when Ross allegedly pulled out a firearm. Indiana State Police says two officers shot the suspect.
Ross was immediately treated on the scene and then transported to Regional Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
A Terre Haute Police officer was also taken to Regional Hospital to be checked out for temporary hearing loss. He has since been released.
We spoke with ISP Sgt. Matt Ames. He said they've been looking for possible witnesses and checking surveillance video.
According to ISP, the two officers involved are Sgt. Adam Loudermilk and Patrol Officer Daniel Johnson.
Again, they are on administrative leave pending the investigation.
Ames said the officers turned over their weapons for the time being. He said this whole situation could've been avoided.
"When an officer's asking for compliance, if you follow the instructions of a police officer, at that time everything will be fine. this individual decided to not comply with the officer's request brandished that handgun and of course after brandishing that handgun the officers dealt with that threat," said Ames.
Indiana State Police will continue to conduct the investigation. We will continue to update this story as soon as more information becomes available.
- Suspect injured during late-night police action shooting in Terre Haute
- Late night crash injures driver
- Man facing charges following late night crash in Terre Haute
- Terre Haute police chase leaves suspect hospitalized
- Terre Haute Police are "shooting" for accuracy
- Police investigate overnight Terre Haute shooting
- Terre Haute Police investigate Friday morning shooting
- Terre Haute Police investigate Wednesday morning shooting
- Man in last week's police action shooting accused of trying to kill two Terre Haute officers
- More details revealed in Friday night Terre Haute shooting