Photo Gallery 10 Images
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The suspect in a southside Terre Haute apartment complex shooting that left a police officer dead has also died.
It started as a homicide investigation on South 18th Street in Terre Haute.
That led officers to an apartment on Linwood Court at the Garden Quarter Apartments.
That is where a Terre Haute Police Officer was shot and killed.
"When the suspect was approached, shots were exchanged between the Terre Haute Police Department and the suspect, which resulted in one of our officers being killed," Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse said.
The initial call came over the scanner just before 6:30 Friday evening that there was an officer down.
Police say that after the shooting, the suspect barricaded himself inside the apartment.
Around 9:00 Friday night, our crew reported seeing police breach the apartment.
Police initially reported the suspect was in custody but injured.
During a press conference at 10:30 Friday, police said the suspect died.
"People are engaging law enforcement and we are losing our lives. He was a fine officer and he was going toward danger to help his fellow officers apprehend a homicide suspect," Plasse said.
Officials are not releasing the names of the officer or the other two that were killed.
We will continue to follow this developing story and bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.
- "People are engaging law enforcement and we are losing our lives.." Police officer killed at Garden Quarter Apartments
- "...we had seen the officer fall and his partner pulling him to safety." Garden Quarter resident describes Friday night's shooting
- Indiana police officer investigating squatters finds gator inside apartment
- George Rogers Clark Memorial Quarter launch ceremony
- Police investigating shooting at local apartment complex
- Police make arrest in apartment shooting
- ISU Community Garden officially open
- Fall Prep For Your Garden
- Community garden opens for season
- New United States quarter released showcasing local historical park