UPDATE: 13-year-old Austin Lawhorn has been located and is safe.
Original Story Below
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The search is on for a missing 13-year-old in eastern Vigo County.
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office began searching for Austin "A.J." Lawhorn around 1:30 Monday afternoon.
His last reported location was in the area of 8092 East Gospel Grove.
Lawhorn normally wears glasses but was not at the time of his disappearance.
He reportedly wasn't wearing shoes when he went missing. Lawhorn is autistic. He is 5'6'', and weighs 100lbs.
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office said Lawhorn was wearing camo shorts and a Tom Brady shirt.
News 10 spoke with JD Kesler from the Vigo County EMA, he told us soon after the child was reported missing, they began searching with canines and unmanned ariel vehicles, or UAVs.
Kesler said the canines initially tracked Lawhorn north, but that lead turned up nothing.
Search teams searched Hawthorn Park and the area around that location.
Crews initially staged at Hulman Links, later moving to Rose-Hulman, and then the Plumbers and Steamfitters building.
Kesler asks that people do not come and join in the search.
He says it can throw off the canines and it makes it harder for the UAVs with thermal imaging to find one specific person if there a lot of extra people in the area.
We will continue to follow this developing story and bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.
- Police use canines and drones to search for missing autistic child in eastern Vigo County
- Crews battle fire in eastern Vigo County
- One hurt in eastern Vigo County crash
- Serious crash in eastern Vigo County
- Police locate missing Vigo County man
- At least one airlifted after eastern Vigo County crash
- One person airlifted after eastern Vigo County crash
- Names released in an eastern Vigo County crash
- Pain medication missing at eastern Indiana prison
- Police search for suspect wanted for Vigo County bank robbery