TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – A pursuit in Terre Haute ended in downtown Terre Haute Tuesday night.
After 11 p.m. a THPD officer watched a silver Chevy Silverado run the red light at 13th and Ohio Streets.
Police report the truck was traveling at a high rate of speed and matched the description of a reckless driver from the 6th and Poplar area.
The officer attempted to make a traffic stop but the truck continued west onto Poplar off of 13th Street. Police report the truck was going so fast it went airborne as it crossed the railroad tracks near 10 ½ and Poplar.
Our News 10 crew did see police units around WTHI's studio searching for the suspect after he took off on foot. After a short pursuit, the suspect was arrested in the Square Donuts parking lot located at 935 Wabash Avenue.
“Officers indicated that the driver told them that he wanted them to chase him because he wanted them to kill him,” a press release stated.
The driver was identified as David Elmerick, 33 of Terre Haute. He was taken to Union Hospital for evaluation and then taken to the Vigo County Jail for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, criminal recklessness, reckless driving and two counts of resisting law enforcement.
- Pursuit with THPD ends in downtown Terre Haute
- Crows in downtown Terre Haute
- Terre Haute man arrested after overnight pursuit
- Terre Haute man arrested after fight with THPD officer
- Does downtown Terre Haute need parking meters?
- Lee Company expanding in downtown Terre Haute
- New restaurant opens in downtown Terre Haute
- 'Get fit' in downtown Terre Haute Friday
- Three arrested after pursuit in Terre Haute Tuesday evening
- Terre Haute man behind bars after foot pursuit with police