GREENE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Police in Greene County issued a warning to its residents after a new scam is making the rounds.
The Greene County Sheriff's Office says it has received several reports of someone going by the name 'Lt. Wade' with the Greene County Sheriff's Office calling residents.
According to police, the scammer is telling people police have a warrant and they need to turn themselves in. The scammer has also reportedly been telling people they will need to go to the sheriff's office for a DNA sample.
Police say one of the numbers the scammer has used is 812-227-5245, but they have used other numbers. None of them are traceable.
If you received a call like this, the Greene County Sheriff's Office says to give them a call at 812-384-4411, option 1 to confirm any information.
- Police in Greene County warn of a scammer claiming to be from the sheriff's office
- Scammer pretends to work with the Greene County Sheriff’s Office
- Greene County Sheriff's Office issues alert for missing person
- Parke County Sheriff's Office warns of scam, person claiming to be from AT&T
- Court warns scammers are threatening people using spoofed phone number
- Sheriff's Office warning of phone scam circulating in Vigo County
- Vigo County Sheriff's Office warns of attempted scam
- Vigo County Sheriff's Office warns of ransomware computer hacks
- Parke County Sheriff's Office warns of scam attempt