TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Christians all around the world marked the start of Lent with Ash Wednesday.
During a midday mass, parishioners at Saint Benedict Catholic Church gathered to receive ashes on their foreheads.
It's a sign of repentance.
Those who observe Lent are encouraged to give up or modify a habit during the 40-day period.
The season of Lent runs through Easter, which falls on April 21st.
- Parishioners gather at Saint Benedict Catholic Church to mark Ash Wednesday
- Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent
- St. Benedict Parish Church to host 23rd annual Community Festival
- Churches gather to celebrate Good Friday
- Money raised at St. Benedict Community Festival supports missions
- Ash Borers Overtake Local Park
- Bill spurred by Nassar case concerns Catholic Church
- Emerald Ash Borers and Cold Weather
- Start your Monday smart: Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, first Manafort sentencing, South by Southwest
- Experts warn area Ash trees are still in danger of Ash Borer