TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) -- It's been in the works for years.
Terre Haute officials trying to get the green light to bring a casino to the area.
Now that bill is moving forward
"It's now out of the Senate, but there are still hoops to jump through and I think we're prepared to do it," David Haynes, Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce member said. "We've had strong support from the community to this point and we expect that to continue through the House deliberations."
But support from the community also comes with those who don't want the casino here.
People like Selanda Brown, she said the casino will do more harm than good.
"I feel like in that aspect I always look to the people who are going to benefit from that and I don't see it benefitting the people who actually need it," she said.
She makes the argument that bringing something like this here won't help those who might already have or are vulnerable to gambling problems.
"I see it actually being a detriment to the people who are already struggling with addiction," Brown said.
But Haynes said the state has steps in place to help with that.
"The situation that we have here in Indiana with our gaming commission those types those types of problems are addressed," Haynes said.
He said the biggest thing is this is going to be an economic boom to Terre Haute and also bring plenty of jobs.
But Brown said she doesn't think the pros outweigh the cons.
"I don't think it's going to help the economy in the way that they're saying it is. I think it's gonna help certain people and it will help those people and not the rest of us," she said. "And if it brings jobs it's gonna be the same old minimum wage jobs we've already been getting so it's not gonna be a difference."
There is a mix of people in the community who are for or against the casino -- all for their own reasons.
The bill has not been voted on yet at the house.
News 10 will continue to keep you updated.
- One step closer to Terre Haute, but how is the community reacting to a new Casino?
- Indiana Gaming Commission approves casino sale, make a Terre Haute casino one step closer
- Terre Haute takes two more steps towards getting a casino
- Terre Haute company one step closer to expanding
- Terre Haute one step closer to getting convention center
- Senate Bill 552 passes 10-0, a step that could bring a casino to Terre Haute
- The next step in Terre Haute's casino hopes happens on Thursday
- Terre Haute's new drive-in movie theater one step closer to opening
- Community honors Terre Haute firefighters
- Local county one step closer to being "Stellar Community"