VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - An education alert for families in Vigo County as they can now apply for a special pre-kindergarten grant.
On My Way Pre-K is Indiana's first state-funded pre-kindergarten program.
Originally, it was only available in five counties but that number has expanded to 20. Vigo County was thrilled to hear it is now one of those counties.
School leaders say pre-school education often plays a huge role in child development.
"We're looking for those children that don't have an opportunity to be in a quality program, and that's why it's important that whatever program that is, the parent gets to decide what it is," said Christi Fenton, Vigo County School Corporation.
Families can apply to be enrolled in this pre-k program but there are several qualifications.
The family must have an income below 127 percent of the federal poverty level. Their child must be four years old by Aug. 1 and starting kindergarten in the 2019/2020 school year.
Parents/guardians in the household must be working,-0 going to school or attending job training.
For more information, and to fill out the form, click here.
- On My-Way Pre-K now available in Vigo County
- Vigo County beach to close
- Donation benefits Vigo County park
- Vigo County property tax deadline nearing
- ISU works to help Vigo County CASA
- Vigo County Juvenile Center getting upgrades
- Vigo County Highway Department Prepares for Winter
- Vigo County Commissioner talks about opioid lawsuit
- Crews battle fire in eastern Vigo County
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment