VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI)- We have new information about a deadly crash in Western Vigo County.
We first told you about the crash on News 10 on Friday. Indiana State Police say the crash happened just before 7 p.m. on Interstate 70 near mile marker three.
Police say the accident was between two semi-trucks. ISP says a semi driven by 67-year-old Oscar Martinez of Cypress, Texas was slowing down his vehicle, due to slower traffic in front of him. Police say that’s when another semi rear-ended Martinez’s truck.
Officials say the impact caused the rear semi to catch on fire. ISP says that ultimately resulted in the death of the driver.
At this point, State Police say the driver who died wasn’t able to be identified after the crash. Officials say the Vigo County Coroner’s Office will try to identify the male driver using DNA or dental records. However, they say this could take a few weeks.
Officials do however think they know the identity of the man, and have been in contact with the victim’s company. ISP says the deceased and the company are thought to be out of Ontario, Canada.
State Police say Martinez had only minor injuries from the accident, and was taken to Terre Haute Regional Hospital.
ISP says the heavy traffic was thought to be slowing down for a construction project near the seven mile marker. Officials say troopers were posted in the paved crossover just east of the three mile marker to warn approaching motorists to slow down.
- Officials working to identify fatal crash victim
- Victim identified in Clay County fatal crash
- Authorities identified teenage victim in fatal crash
- Police identify victim of fatal Knox County motorcycle crash
- UPDATE: victims in fatal Sullivan County accident identified
- Driver involved fatal Edgar County truck crash facing several charges, police identify victim
- Police identify the victim of Friday night fatal crash on I-70
- Police identify victim of Halloween night fatal crash in Terre Haute
- Victim in deadly fire identified
- Victims of Knox County fatal fire identified as husband and wife