DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The winning numbers have been drawn for the record $1.6 billion Mega Millions lottery jackpot, but it isn’t immediately clear if there’s a winner.
The numbers drawn in Tuesday night’s drawing are 5, 28, 62, 65, 70 and Mega Ball 5.
The estimated jackpot is the largest lottery prize ever. The jackpot has been growing since July when a group of California office workers won $543 million.
If no tickets match the Tuesday numbers, lottery officials say the jackpot is expected to grow to an estimated $2 billion for Friday’s drawing.
It costs $2 to play the game, but the odds of matching all six numbers and taking home the grand prize is a dismal 1 in 302.5 million.
Mega Millions is played in 44 states as well as Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Trending on AP News
- Numbers drawn for record $1.6B Mega Millions jackpot
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $900 million, second-highest
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $1.6 billion. It's now the largest US lottery jackpot ever
- Powerball jackpot now $750M after no winning ticket drawn
- Mega Millions numbers are out. Now we wait.
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $512 million for Tuesday’s drawing
- Mega Millions jackpot grows -- with next drawing on New Year's Day
- New York man wins $344 million Powerball jackpot by playing same numbers for 25 years
- If you win the $1 billion Mega Millions jackpot, you could be worth almost two Taylor Swifts
- Powerball and Mega Millions now total $783 million