TERRE HAUTE, Ind (WTHI) - What separates Terre Haute South Vigo High School and North Central High School is a county line.
“We all have to figure out how to survive and help each other”, said North Central’s principal Monty Kirk.
Recently on his Twitter, he announced that North Central High School would be donating a bench to Terre Haute South High School in memory to Jenna Perrelle. She was killed last week in a car crash. Something North Central students know all too well.
“Everyone forgot that it happened for a little bit and then it just made it real again,” said Senior North Central softball player Morgan Manning. She told me she’s played against Jenna for years. “I grew up playing softball with Jena so I knew how God of a kid she was."
The Wabash Community helped North Central raise nearly 7,000 lbs of bottle caps since January. They plan on creating three benches and a picnic table in memory of the three teens they lost almost three months ago.
The bottle caps have to be shipped to Evansville where there they will be shredded, melted, then painted the correct colors of the schools. Principal Kirk told me that he expects the bench for THS to be done next week. He says there's no better way to give back than to do it when others are in need. "We've got the means to do it so let's reach out and help them the same way they helped us," he said.
I asked about the two schools playing each other in softball in the spring. Kirk and Manning said that it will be very emotional. A lot of old feelings will be revisited that day and it's something that the two schools will help each other get through together.
- North Central High School will donate bench to Terre Haute South High School
- Light from the darkness: North Central pays it forward to Terre Haute South with memorial bench donation after tragic accidents
- Final pieces of North Central High School benches honoring students killed in crash unveiled
- North Central High School receives a special delivery
- Terre Haute South Vs. Columbus North
- Underage female faces felony battery charges in connection to Terre Haute North Vigo High School incident
- Students file federal lawsuit against Northeast School Corp. and North Central High School
- Terre Haute South wins Safe Sports School Award
- Local High School Students go high tech
- Donation set to help Sullivan High School's Theater Department