VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- A plan for the location for the new Vigo County jail has been made.
Now, Vigo County officials are taking the steps to finalize that location.
"The commissioners are narrowing down to a site that they believe that we can build a new jail." Mike Morris, one councilman said.
Wednesday night the commissioners asked the Vigo county budget committee to help move that plan forward.
They asked the council to approve a resolution to put funds toward a second appraisal of the property at Springhill and state road 63.
"This is part of the process in looking for a property to build the jail," said one of the commissioners.
The request moved to the full council with no recommendation.
Meaning the budget committee is kind of lying neutral on the whole thing.
Morris was the only one who voted in favor of it.
Saying he doesn't want to see the matter go to a three-panel judge.
"We don't think the three-panel judge would be the best thing for the taxpayers of the county. I felt like that the commissioner's request for the resolution should have just been moved ahead favorably," Morris said. "It's an affirmation to the court that we're moving ahead on this project."
Morris says with all the delays of the project it's already costing Vigo county taxpayers a lot of money.
"At this point, these delays have probably cost the taxpayers in the county 2 to 3 millions dollars in additional cost," he said
The next step for the jail is to get approval at the full council meeting.
That takes place March 12th here at the annex.
- Next step for the Vigo County jail
- Vigo county council takes next steps towards a new jail
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- Study underway at the Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Vigo County gets extension in jail lawsuit
- Update on new Vigo County jail location
- Deadline placed for Vigo County Jail update
- Vigo County Jail update status hearing canceled
- One step closer to breaking ground on the new Vigo County jail.