OWEN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Owen County Sheriff's Office has released more information about a standoff situation that ended Saturday morning.
The Office says it all started around 11:20 p.m. on Thursday. Officials say that’s when county dispatch received a 911 call about a domestic situation where a male was threatening others with a gun on Kinnickinick Ridge in Owen County. The Sheriff’s Office says Deputies responded to the scene and found a male suspect had forced his way into a home and taken 2 children and 2 adult females hostage and was armed.
Officials say one adult female was able to escape the house. Deputies say after they got to the scene, shots were fired from inside the home through a window, toward deputies and their vehicles. No one was hurt, but officials say the area was secured and the Morgan County SWAT team was contacted.
The Office says around 7:45 a.m. on Friday, the suspect released one of the children, and by 12:10 p.m., the other child was released. After that, officials say negotiations continued for another 19 hours, trying to convince the male suspect to surrender and release the last hostage unharmed.
The Owen County Sheriff’s Office adds that throughout the more than 31 hour standoff, the suspect made multiple threats on the hostage’s life as well as threats to kill officers on scene. Officials say he also fired multiple shots from inside the house during the standoff.
Shortly after 7:00 a.m. Saturday, the Sheriff’s Office says the suspect made himself visible through a doorway while physically restraining the hostage at gun point. Officials say to save the life of the hostage, one shot was fired by a tactical team member that incapacitated the suspect.
The Owen County Sheriff’s Office says the hostage was rescued by officers before being taken to a hospital for evaluation. However, officials say the suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officials add that the investigation is on-going, and at this time, it’s a multi-agency investigation. They say names of those involved aren’t being released until family has been notified and the investigation is complete.
- New details released after Owen County Standoff
- New details released after Terre Haute standoff
- Suspect killed after 31-hour SWAT standoff in Owen County identified
- Large police presence reported in Owen County in response to SWAT standoff
- Help animals rescued from hoarding situation in Owen County
- Owen County man arrested for child sex crimes
- New details released on Beau Monde property sale
- The Vigo County Prosecutor's Office releases its report on a recent police action shooting and standoff.
- Man released from prison for killing his wife the center of alleged Greene County standoff
- Police release more details surrounding double fatal crash in Daviess County