VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County Democratic Party has voted on a new Vigo County Council member.
85 voters of the 87 Democratic Precincts filled the Annex Tuesday night.
During the Tuesday night caucus, Lisa Spence was selected to serve as the next council member.
Current council member, Brendan Kearns will leave his position at the end of the year.
He was elected to serve as a Vigo County Commissioner in November.
"This was great to see, first of all, so many candidates running for this position," Kearns said. "You had 6 good people that wanted to fill my seat."
After 2 rounds of voting, Spence was elected to fill that open seat.
She works at Indiana State University as Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Information Officer.
She says she thinks her experience will help bring fresh ideas to the council.
"We're at a good time in the county. We're in a good place. We've got challenges, but there are really good things that we can work on and good things happening," Spence said. "I thought that with some of the things that I have in terms of experiences and skills, I could add something to the council and really wanted to be part in taking the community forward."
She wants people living in the county to know they have a voice.
"Their government should work for them and they need to take advantage of that," she said. "Show up, vote, come to the meetings."
The biggest thing she want's to work on is building communication between the council and the people living in the county.
The swearing-in ceremony is Dec. 20th in the Circuit Court at 4:30 p.m.
- "I'm ready to get started and talk to people and see how it really feels to do this job..." New Vigo County Council member selected in caucus
- Five people in the ring for Vigo County Council seat, caucus set for December 4th
- TONIGHT: Vigo County Democratic Caucus to fill Third District seat
- Vigo County 4-H Council craft bazaar helps fund member scholarships
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- Vigo County Council passes $55 million budget
- Jury selection underway for criminal confinement trial in Vigo County
- New president selected during Vigo County Commissioner meeting
- Vigo County Council approves funds to hire 24 new jail staff members
- Indiana Black Legislative Caucus prepares for 2019