VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- Mike Dean and Theresa Smith are from Indianapolis. Their trip to Vincennes completed a long-awaited trip.
"I’ve been waiting seven years for this event. It’s really been quite an adventure waiting for this event to get here," said Dean.
Before coming to the George Rogers Clark National Historical Park they didn't know much about it or its monument but it was the historic event on Tuesday that brought them to Vincennes.
"I like to travel and I also like to collect coins. So when I can travel to a park I have never been to before it’s always nice to combine the quarter to park to it," said Dean.
They were among 1,800 people who attended The United States Mint quarter launch and exchange event. Nearly $44,000 worth of coins were exchanged.
Park Superintendent Frank Doughman says the new quarters help spread the story of George Rogers Clark. He also hopes this will raise awareness about this historic park in Clark's name.
"This is a big story that a lot of people don't know about and now it's going to be right in their pockets and we hope people take the opportunity to adventure and find out about us and learn a little bit more about this amazing story," said Doughman.
The quarter is part of the “American The Beautiful” quarter program based on historic US parks and locations. The George Rogers Clark National Historical Park was the 40th quarter to be released in the program.
If you'd like to learn more about the historical park Check out their website here.
- New United States quarter released showcasing local historical park
- Local State Park Helping The Environment
- United Methodist Village releases letter to community
- IDPH releases report on United Methodist Village
- George Rogers Clark Memorial Quarter launch ceremony
- Wabash Valley state park added to National Register of Historic Places
- Ash Borers Overtake Local Park
- George Rogers National Historical Park to resume full operation
- United Way of the Wabash Valley releases strategic plan
- IDPH releases new reports regarding United Methodist Village