TERRE HAUTE, Ind (WTHI) - The victim's name has been released in the homicide that occurred in Idle Creek Subdivision early Wednesday morning.
According to the Vigo County Sheriff’s Office, the deceased victim in this investigation has been identified as William Garrett Sands, a 17 yr. old male from Terre Haute.
The investigation started early Wednesday morning in the middle of Idle Creek.
According to police, 19-year-old Nathan Derickson took out a gun at the party and was reportedly playing with it while he was drunk.
Police believe Derickson thought he had unloaded the weapon when it fired hitting the male juvenile victim, killing him.
Derickson was charged with reckless homicide and is scheduled to be in court on Thursday.
- Victim's name released in Idle Creek Shooting
- Teen charged after Idle Creek house party turns deadly
- Production idled at Carlisle Mine
- Bioprocessing facility to idle production, impacting hundreds of jobs
- UPDATE: Autopsy results released for double shooting victim
- Police release name of weekend Cleveland Ave. shooting victim
- Victims names released from Saturday I-70 crashes
- Police release name of crash victim
- Multiple gunshot wounds: Autopsy results released for Putnam Street shooting victim
- Police release more information on shooting