CHARLESTON, Ill. (WTHI) - The Charleston Police Department in Illinois reports a 22-year-old mother has been arrested for a charges of murder after her two year old was found unresponsive.
Police report the call came just before 9 a.m. (CT) on Monday for an unresponsive child at a home on 1st Street in Charleston.
The paramedics on scene determined the child was dead.
Savannah M. Weiss, 22 of Charleston, was arrested on a charge of First Degree Murder.
Police report she told them the child was left in a Pack & Play unattended at the home from Dec. 1 until Dec. 3. Weiss stated she woke up Monday, Dec. 4 to find the child unresponsive.
An autopsy showed the cause of death to be dehydration and malnourishment.
Weiss was taken to the Coles County Jail where she is awaiting her first court appearance.
- Mother arrested for death of 2-year-old in Charleston, Illinois
- Illinois mother arrested for death of child found fit to stand trial
- Attorney named for Charleston woman charged in son's murder
- 8 residents displaced after fire in downtown Charleston
- Suspect wanted in connection to Charleston downtown fire
- Illinois governor seeks to reinstate death penalty
- Indiana mom charged with neglect in gun death of 2-year-old
- Harvest Emergency in Illinois
- Man arrested after several car burglaries in Illinois
- Saturation Saturday cracks down on DUI arrests in Illinois