ROCKVILLE, Ind. (WTHI) - Vermillion and Parke counties are ranked as some of the unhealthiest counties in the state, according to the latest health records.
Health care professionals say access to a doctor's office plays a role. That's turning around thanks to a unique service called Valley Professionals Community Health Center.
It’s a mobile health clinic. It travels to 15 different schools in Parke and Vermillion Counties. One school in Vigo County has just added the list as well.
The bus is equipped with a nurse practitioner, nurse and behavioral health specialist around the clock.
They treat students or faculty when they're sick. Kids don't have to miss class and parents can stay at work.
Services include anything from prescribing medicine for strep throat to a counseling session for mental health.
“I've had several students who have had ear aches so not something you have to jump on, but the parents can stay at work, I can get them on the bus, a prescription can be called in,” said Amy McCalister, Rockville School Nurse. “The students can return to school and parents can pick up a prescription after work and the student is taken care of.”
Any visit to the bus is billed directly to insurance or Medicaid. If you don't have insurance, that's not a problem.
The service is federally funded, so you're just billed based on your income.
The nurses say it’s the best job to have.
“They come in and they're like, ‘Hey guess what I did since last time I saw you.’ You know what's going on with their families so it's not just like you're their nurse or their doctor,” said Amy Clarkson, LPN with the clinic. “You get to really know your kids when you're with them all the time like this.”
McCalister says it's been such a success, that more than half of her students are signed up and use the mobile clinic’s services.
If you would like to sign your child up for these services, click here.
- Mobile clinic brings health care to students and more
- Mobile field trip brings STEM education to Terre Haute students
- Ivy Tech to host car care clinic
- WRV provides new health care equipment for students
- Lawrence County Memorial Hospital expands Acute Care Clinic hours
- Vincennes hospital to open new convenient care clinic
- Plans move forward to bring VA clinic to Terre Haute
- Synthetic marijuana brings health concerns locally
- Local clinic set to host a men's health day
- Union Health breaks ground on new eastside clinic