TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County elementary students got a lesson on how to take a bite out of crime on Tuesday.
McGruff the Crime Dog made a stop at Rio Grande Elementary School.
He was there teaching kids about stealing and why that's a bad idea.
Students from kindergarten to 2nd grade got in on the presentation.
A Vigo County sheriff's deputy helped bring the program to the school.
He says it's a valuable lesson for children to learn at an early age.
"Even at this age, if it's not yours, ask if you can have it or use it and bring it back or borrow it or just take it and not say a word," Deputy Sean Trevarthan said.
McGruff has been taking bites out of crime since 1980.
- McGruff the Crime Dog visits Terre Haute school
- McGruff the Crime Dog makes a stop at a local elementary school
- Santa's reindeer visit Terre Haute Children's Museum
- U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly visits Terre Haute
- Gov. Holcomb coming to Terre Haute to visit Stark Industries
- 1956 Gold Medalist makes a visit to Terre Haute South
- Busted: Terre Haute man featured on Crime Stoppers behind bars
- Police investigating series of crimes on Terre Haute's east side
- Crime Stoppers: Terre Haute woman wanted on several theft warrants
- Two dogs rescued from Terre Haute mobile home fire