TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Firefighters battled a massive fire Monday afternoon in Clay County at an abandoned coal building.
The fire happened near State Road 42 and County Road 500 West in western Clay County. A sign on the property is for Bowie Refined Coal's Chinook plant. The Posey Township Fire Department said the building was once used in the coal mining process.
Firefighters at the scene told us construction workers were trying to take the building apart. They were using a torch, which caught coal dust on fire. The fire spread from there.
Crews at the scene told us liquid oxygen was inside the building. Due to safety concerns, firefighters decided to let the fire burn out. The Posey Township Fire Department said there was no direct threat to public safety because the property is in a secluded area.
- Massive fire destroys Clay County abandoned coal building
- Fire destroys Clay County house, investigation underway
- Fire destroys Daviess county business
- Fire destroys Sullivan County diner
- Abandoned home catches fire overnight
- Overnight fire destroys McDonald's
- Fire destroys construction business
- Clay county fire department will receives funds to build bigger facility
- Fire destroys southern Vigo County home
- Clay County group receives donation