HUTSONVILLE, Ill. (WTHI) - Police identified the man found in the Wabash River Wednesday night. That happened between Hutsonville and Merom.
That man is 49-year-old David Overbay from Lawrenceville, Illinois.
A boater discovered his body. Since that initial 911 call, police have been piecing together what happened.
In a release sent Friday, Sullivan Sheriff Clark Cottom says Overbay was last seen Tuesday.
Police say his truck broke down that same day. He left the car before police arrived.
Investigators say Overbay tried to swim across the river. They are still unsure why. Autopsy results show the initial cause of death is drowning.
Police say this is an open investigation. They are still waiting for final testing and toxicology reports to determine if any other factors led to his death.
- Man identified; Events leading up to body found in Wabash River
- Body found in Wabash river
- UPDATE: Body found in Wabash River in Clinton identified
- Body recovered from Wabash River in Clinton
- Event creeps into Wabash Valley
- Police release identity on body found in river
- Vincennes prepared for Wabash River after rainfall
- Police identify the person at the center of Wabash River search
- No foul play suspected after person found dead in Wabash River near Clinton cemetery
- Communities have the chance to apply for Wabash River grants