WABASH VALLEY, Ind. (WTHI) - A local war hero will receive a big honor this year.
Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb will give Sammy Lee Davis the 2018 Sachem next month.
It's the state's highest honor.
Davis is a Vietnam War Veteran.
He recently talked to the community during a stop in Terre Haute.
Davis helped carry three United States Soldiers to safety in 1967.
His story inspired the movie, Forest Gump.
Davis and his wife now live in Freedom, Indiana.
That's in Owen County.
Last year's recipient was local Holocaust survivor, Eva Kor.
- Local was hero to receive Indiana's highest honor
- Local Girl Scout receives top honors
- Local couple receives Rotary Club honor
- Local police and firefighters honors fallen heroes with special ceremony.
- Honoring Hometown Heroes: Keeping memories alive of local fallen soldiers
- A hometown team honors a hero
- Local World War II veteran receives special honor
- Local hospital receives top honors for stroke care
- Bricks honoring local veterans
- Local veterans honored for service in Southern Indiana