TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Local veterans were invited to a special picnic on Friday, ahead of Memorial Day.
Westminster Village and Hospice of the Wabash Valley partnered to put on the event.
Veterans were treated to hamburgers, hot dogs, and live music.
They also heard from speakers about the history and meaning of Memorial Day.
"I particularly appreciated Walter Sommers, who talked from the point of view from a World War II veteran...he was still very sharp," veteran Curtis Winkle said.
There was a 21 gun salute by the Vigo County Honor Guard.
- Local vets honored with special picnic
- Local police and firefighters honors fallen heroes with special ceremony.
- Brazil community honors local Pearl Harbor survivor with special ceremony
- Local World War II veteran receives special honor
- Hoosier Vietnam Vets to be recognized in special event
- Bricks honoring local veterans
- Bike ride honors vets, recognizes Black History Month
- Two judges honored at a special ceremony
- Local group honors area volunteers
- Local vets working to give back to the community