TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)-Indiana lawmakers are still considering a measure that would arm Hoosier teachers. House bill 1253 would allow schools to use state money to train teachers how to use handguns.
It’s a very controversial topic that has many voicing their thoughts. Mark Lee of the Vigo County Teachers Association says safety has always been a priority in Vigo County Schools, but arming teachers is not something the association endorses.
"So we're way ahead of the state, way ahead of the nation basically. How we plan for school emergencies is a school safety issue so there's no need for teachers in our school corporation to have guns in the classroom,” said Lee.
Some argue arming teachers only creates more risk, but Steve Ellis at Top Guns says he's a supporter of extra security. Even if that comes from a teacher.
"If we have people who are willing to become quote, unquote almost a first responder that's already there, why would we not take advantage of that," said Ellis.
That's why Ellis says Top Guns will be doing what they can to help the teachers. Ellis said the gun store will commit to two days a month of free training for a year.
This also depends of the Top Guns can teach the curriculum. It’s currently being discussed still at the state house.
"Our goal is if the person is out there we don't want money for finances to stand in the way of our teachers getting the training that they need," said Ellis.
It's a service lee says is great to have available to teachers, but he insists the teachers association wants to focus on what they're meant to do, teach.
"In Vigo County there’s no need for it and as long as we keep doing what we're doing there’s no need. We don't need our teachers to be law enforcement officers," said Lee.
The bill passed through the house early last week. Now it will move on to the senate for more input and a decision.
- Local gun store offers to teach teachers if allowed to carry guns in schools
- Local gun store plans to leave Illinois due to regulations
- Local gun store worried after recent Illinois gun dealer licensing bill
- An eagle named 'Eddie' teaches young kids about gun safety
- Top Guns in Terre Haute teaches kids about safety
- Indiana legislative staff face some limits on carrying guns
- Comparing Illinois and Indiana Gun Law: Handgun Carry
- Appeals court: 2nd Amendment protects open carry of guns
- Senate panel advances bill allowing more guns in church
- Pritzker signs bill allowing Illinois to license gun dealers