TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- Shelly Klingerman launched her first book titled Vigilance: The Savvy Woman's Guide to Personal Safety, Self-Protection Measures, and Countermeasures.
The New York Times mentioned Klingerman's book last week.
Klingerman is the executive director of Launch Terre Haute- A place to help freelancers and entrepreneurs launch their business. She is a mother to three kids. She says her children were the inspiration for the book.
Klingerman says she found an interest to better understand vigilance and the need to vigilant. She says she wants to help others learn what they should be aware of when traveling or walking alone.
The book puts a focus on women and how they can prepare and protect themselves.
"The things that are in this book aren't really things that you have to be an expert in self-defense," Klingerman said. "It's just really vigilance and paying attention to the way you carry yourself. Making sure you're watching and pre-active rather than reactive. And, knowing what predators are looking for."
A book signing is taking place at Launch Terre Haute on Thursday night from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
To purchase a copy of Klingerman's book, click here.
- Local author launches book and is mentioned in The New York Times
- President Trump mentions Terre Haute during Evansville stop
- Local colleges gather for magazine launch party
- Local company launches Pay it Forward campaign
- Sullivan students meet a local author
- Who is Doug Tischbein? The other man mentioned in Danny Tanoos court documents
- Local woman gives the homeless a voice in new book
- Author of a book about Birch Bayh stops in Vigo County to discuss the late Senator
- Books and Brew: A unique spin on the book club
- VCPL spotlights banned books during 'Banned Books Week'