TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- Police are following several leads after someone broke into the concession stand and attempted to break in again Monday night.
That concession stand belonged to the West Terre Haute Little League.
Nearly $2,000 in damage was done.
According to little league officials they believe the break-in happened sometime Saturday night.
Steve Shaffer, board president, says the little league operates on volunteers. He says an incident like this hits home.
“We put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this park for the last five years,” Shaffer said.
For nearly six years he has served as the board president for the Terre Haute Little League.
Shaffer discovered the damage done Sunday morning when he came into work on some repairs.
He says the doors were pried open and materials that belonged to the league were all gone.
Shaffer also says roughly $900 of his own tools were taken.
He says whoever did this also tried setting the place on fire. Shaffer says not one time, but three times they tried.
“This is a malicious attack,” he said. “You know this takes it to a whole other level.”
Shaffer says this is not the first incident they have had. He says about 15 years ago, the place was broken into. Whoever did it, cut a hole through the roof.
He says the building currently has six surveillance cameras. The league plans to get more installed for better security.
Shaffer says the next step is getting everything up and running by the time season starts in April.
He says they could use the public’s help. You can click here to donate.
Police are still investigating. If you have any information you can call Crime Stoppers at 812-238-STOP.
- Little league break in will cost $2,000
- Marshall recycling center costing more, people breaking rules
- Nearly 2,000 customers without power on Terre Haute's east side
- Almost 2,000 Vigo County residents file for property tax appeal
- Walmart to hire 150,000 new employees, including 2,000 Hoosiers
- Pancake breakfast to benefit Clay Youth League
- League of Women's Voters holds candidate forum
- League of Women Voters hosts candidate forum
- Sullivan group creates special needs softball league
- Upward Soccer League season kicks off