TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WThI) - A new program is getting kids in the kitchen! The class is for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders and it's free!
4th grader Trenton Earley and 5th grader Clarissa Bennett say they enjoy creating food masterpieces. That's why they've signed up for the Free Kids Club Cooking School.
Bennett says, "I'm really excited. I like cooking at home."
The class spans six weeks and happens at Northside Community United Methodist Church in Terre Haute. Kids meet Saturday mornings and will learn about kitchen safety, nutrition and food preparation.
The Indiana Foster and Adoptive Parents group is organizing the class.
CEO Kristi Cundiff says, "The goal is that they learn the skill here and then they go home and they use it and help their families."
These young cooks say they're learning valuable lessons.
Earley says, "I could like, do it at home, at my friend's house."
25 kids can take the class for free and there are still open spots.
Bennett says, "It's really fun once you like, get into cooking and you get better at it, it's more fun to do and I think other kids would like to do it."
The class also gives kids the opportunity to meet new people.
Cundiff says, "Working together in a kitchen, making friends, the social interaction and really to just increase their self-esteem as well because once the kiddos cook the food, they're going to come back on Sunday and serve the food to the congregational members."
The class starts April 6th.
You can contact Kristi Cundiff for more information and to sign up your child. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (812)605-1341.
When spots fill up, kids will be placed on a waitlist for the next session.
- Kids in the Kitchen: spots still open for free class
- Kids in the kitchen, cooking classes let little ones learn to cook
- Free books delivered to kids
- Adults learn to swim in free class
- Working to keep kids flu free
- Local church offers free coats for kids
- Camp Navigate kids snag some free pie
- Want to learn about storm spotting? Classes are coming to Terre Haute soon
- Check your kitchen for these recalled foods
- Fork in the Road - Flesor's Candy Kitchen