HOWARD COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Police say they continue to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a Kokomo girl who was found safe in Indianapolis.
Police say 8-year-old Ja'layia Williams was found along with her biological mother, 29-year-old Sherica Wizzard, who does not have custody rights.
Wizzard is accused of taking the girl around eight o'clock Monday night from a Kokomo IHOP.
The father says he went to the restaurant to confront Wizzard for taking the girl without permission.
Wizzard allegedly ran across the street to a gas station, got into a white Pontiac with the girl and headed north on State Road 931.
The girl's father told police that he had full custody of the girl, but had recently allowed Wizzard to spend time with her.
An Amber Alert was never issued as police said the criteria for one had not been met.
- Kidnapped Kokomo girl found safe in Indy
- Police ask public to help find 8-year-old girl kidnapped in Kokomo
- Indy 500 Princess counting down the days
- UPDATE: Missing teen girl located, safe
- New York Uber driver charged with kidnapping 15-year-old girl
- UPDATE: Missing Greene County woman found safe
- Silver Alert cancelled: elderly man found safe
- Numerous Indy flight cancellations due to East Coast winter storm
- Rossi finishes second to Pagenaud in dramatic Indy 500
- UPDATE: Missing 15-year-old girl found