PARKE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Jury selection is underway as the trial begins for an accused serial arsonist.
Jesse Payne faces three counts of arson and one count of being a habitual offender.
Those charges date all the way back to 2002.
On April 28th, 2005, Payne allegedly set fire to the historic Bridgeton Bridge.
It was a total loss.
That same night, police say Payne tried to set fire to the Mansfield Covered Bridge.
The third arson charge stems from a fire police say Payne is tied to, dating back to 2002.
He was originally not fit to stand trial due to his mental status.
- Jury selection underway for man accused of setting fire to Bridgeton Bridge in 2005
- Appeals judge upholds a conviction for man behind bars after setting fire to Bridgeton Covered Bridge in 2005
- "Guilty, but mentally ill" Jury convicts man for setting fire to Bridgeton Bridge
- Day two of trial for man accused of 2005 covered bridge fire wraps
- Jury selection underway for criminal confinement trial in Vigo County
- Jury selection complete for Terre Haute man accused of impersonating a police officer
- Bridgeton Mill is going back in time
- Photos capture high water at the Bridgeton Mill
- New book talks about the history of the Bridgeton Mill
- Completion timeframe set for McDaniel Road bridge