TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Funeral services will be Monday for a teen killed in a shooting this week.
Now, friends are talking about the student they knew.
William "Garrett" Sands died in that shooting.
He was 17-years-old.
"You almost never think it'll be somebody you know, and with just personally knowing Garrett, it just really touched us. I know it touched me. It touched many of our associates," coworker Kevin Riggs said.
Riggs worked with William "Garrett" Sands. He went by Garrett.
The two worked at a local restaurant together for more than a year.
"He was a hustler, something I really enjoyed. He was always very dependable. Always there, he brought his A game every day."
He called Garrett one of his hardest working employees.
When he left for another job, Riggs said he saw potential.
"It almost seemed like he brought his athletic side to work, just based on how hard he worked...and his hustle," Riggs told us.
That athletic side had a lot to do with a man named Jon Lee.
Lee coached Garrett at Terre Haute South High School Cross Country.
He said he's known the 17-year-old for years.
He told us Sands graduated early and had a good head on shoulders.
That's why he was shocked and devastated to hear what happened.
"It was tough, it's hard to wrap your mind around it when it happens. I was out of the state at the time," Lee said. "You don't think good people are gone like that."
The shooting happened at a home on Golf Bag Lane in the Idle Creek subdivision.
The Vigo County Sheriff's Office says there was a party.
That's when they say 19-year-old Nathan Derickson and others were passing a gun around.
They believe at one point, Derickson held the gun to Sands' head thinking it was unloaded and fired.
That shot killed Sands.
There will be a celebration of life for Garrett.
It will take place this Monday at noon at the New Life Community Church in Terre Haute.
- "...he brought his A game every day." Garrett Sands remembered by those who knew him
- Remembering Garrett Sands through simple acts of kindness
- Garrett Sands Kindness Project adopts highway in Garrett's memory
- Funeral services Monday for Garrett Sands
- Garrett Sands vigil set for Thursday
- Garrett Sands Kindness Project Food drive
- Remembering a loved one while saving lives; blood drive works to honor Garrett Sands
- Hundreds celebrate the life of William Garrett Sands
- Tattoo shop honors Garrett Sands with special designs
- School supplies donated in honor of Garrett Sands