VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- Some startling statistics about kids and families right here in Vigo County.
That's what brought people from all different organizations together on Monday.
"Our schools represent our community and our community represents our schools," Megan Kirk, Project aware coach said.
The Indiana youth institute or IYI gathered statistics about kids and families in Vigo County.
Some of those include Vigo county ranking 5th in the state for the number of kids who live under the poverty line, 6th in the state for child food insecurity, and Indiana as a whole, we've doubled the rate of child abuse and neglect over the past 10 years.
so how do we fix these problems? Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent Rob Haworth said it's something that can't only fall on the shoulders of the school.
"If Vigo County schools carry the weight of this by themselves we'll only go so far," Haworth said. "If our community, our non-for profits, in that room, our youth serving agency's, our faith-based, our higher ed communities all come together then I think we can start addressing many of the topics that are being brought up"
It's a task that truly embodies the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child".
"This isn't just a school issue it's our community and we need to work together to partner and to provide these resources for our families," Kirk said.
Many of the organizations at the event talked about different mentorship programs that they are either getting ready to start or are planning on starting to help the kids and the families in Vigo County.
One of those is Team of Mercy. They are launching a "survivors of suicide" program in 2020.
That's going to be for any child who has experienced a suicide in their life.
- Indiana youth institute helps Vigo County School Corporation
- Vigo County School Corporation releases survey results
- Jay Etling submits resignation from Vigo County School Corporation
- Vigo County School Corporation announces new communication supervisor
- ACLU lawsuit against Vigo County School Corporation dropped
- Statement on Danny Tanoos from the Vigo County School Corporation
- Another chance to voice concerns to Vigo County School Corporation
- Vigo County School Corporation launches emergency text alerts
- Faith-based groups meet with the Vigo County School Corporation
- The search is on for a new Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent