VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- Every weekend families like the Arms family brings their kids to teach them about military history, but this weekend they got the chance to see something new at the museum.
"It’s phenomenal,” said Ryan Arms with his three sons. “A lot more exhibits, it’s not as crowded in the original building and the kids can’t really stop saying "oooh" and "ahhhhh" and "look at this dad! Look at that!"
Arms was talking about the newest addition to the museum known as the annex. Curator and Director Jim Osbourne says it's been a long road but they are glad to show off this space.
"We're still ongoing on some of the projects in here. This building depicts about ten separate scenes ranging from world war one all the way up to the present day in the Middle East," said Osborne.
Work is still being done on some parts of the annex, but it’s expected to be fully completed by June. Osbourne says it's a project that couldn't have been done without the hard work of volunteers. All working to build and refurbish all the military memorabilia.
"They're so essential and it’s good not just for the museum but for the whole community. The fact that they come out and their volunteerism is so effective," said Osborne.
As for Arms, He’s just happy to have such a place to bring and educate his kids, but he's also excited to see what's next for the museum.
"As far as for the future, the sky’s the limit because as of right now they have already blown me and several others away that I know so the future looks really bright for them," said Arms.
The annex is now open to the public to see if you pay admission. The next big event at the museum is the world war one reenactment. That will be from March 30th through the 31st.
- Indiana Military Museum nears completion of new annex expansion
- County annex work nearing completion after year of work
- Indiana Military Museum unveils WWI tank for war centennial
- A hobby that preserves history at the Indiana Military Museum
- Monument to USS Indianapolis dedicated at Indiana Military Museum
- South Knox renovations near completion
- Marshall, Illinois pool nearing completion
- New Terre Haute apartment building nearing completion
- Four lakes park renovations nearing completion
- Indiana Military Museum takes a look back at World War I