SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTHI) - New laws in Illinois will protect the Illinois immigrant community.
Illinois Governor JB Pritzker signed three laws today.
That's amidst growing controversy with the federal government.
The first bill, House Bill 2040 bans detention centers in the state, the second bill...House Bill 2691, allows undocumented and transgender students to receive funding to go to college.
The will go into effect immediately.
- Illinois' governor signs bills banning immigrant detention centers and allowing undocumented students to receive college funding
- Illinois governor signs bill allowing Medicaid for abortions
- Illinois governor signs order supporting immigrant families
- Illinois Governor to sign Tobacco 21 bill
- Bill aims to halt immigrant detention center near Chicago
- Companies propose immigration detention centers for Midwest
- Illinois governor signs laws aimed at protecting immigrant youth
- Pritzker signs bill allowing Illinois to license gun dealers
- New York passes bill to allow driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants
- Illinois governor signs bill barring right-to-work zones