TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County School Board will hold a "public work session" on Thursday afternoon. This will be the board's first action in trying to find a new superintendent since Dr. Danny Tanoos announced he will retire at year's end. An executive session advertised for Tuesday afternoon has been cancelled.
The board has hired the University Placement Team to assist in finding a replacement for Dr. Tanoos. Dr. Terry McDaniel of Indiana State University is one of four members of that team. He says it's paramount the board hire the right person as superintendent.
"The most important job a school board has is the select their superintendent," Dr. McDaniel said.
It's a job the Vigo County School Board hasn't had in 20 years.
"That's the voice for you as a school board," Dr. McDaniel said. "The public's elected you and made you responsible for finding that key person that's going to administrate the school corporation."
We expect at the board's public work session that they'll use public opinion to help outline the qualities the board and constituents want in the next superintendent. Dr. McDaniel feels Vigo County will attract a number of good, qualified applicants.
"It's the fifth largest school corporation in the state of Indiana," Dr. McDaniel said. "People are looking for those big jobs so they can make a big difference."
The University Placement Team says there are at least 13 school corporations in the state who are in search of a new superintendent. He expects a different kind of candidate to apply for Vigo County's job as opposed to smaller school districts.
"Being a big corporation, they're probably going to someone who has a lot of superintendent or central office experience," McDaniel said.
McDaniel said it's not just a big job due to the large numbers of personnel at VCSC. He says Vigo County's superintendent must be visible in and a liason to the community VCSC serves. McDaniel feels good about Vigo County being able to find a good fit.
"When the school board gets the opportunity to sit down and select someone, they're going to have some really good choices," said Dr. McDaniel, "and knowing the school board, they're going to make a good decision."
The public workshop will take place at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 22nd. It will take place in the central office building in the conference room on the main floor.
- ISU Prof: Vigo School Board will have "some really good choices" for next superintendent
- Vigo County School board holds public hearing over superintendent contract proposal
- School board hires University Placement Team for superintendent search
- Hiring process for next Vigo Schools Superintendent already underway
- VCSC board hears concerns regarding superintendent search
- School lawsuit on agenda for Vigo County School Board
- ISU Board officially votes in new president
- Vigo County Teacher's Association presented a letter on superintendent process to the school board, you can read it here
- ISU works to help Vigo County CASA
- Vigo County School Board approves raises for returning teachers