TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- New data shows that Vigo County is one of the worst counties when it comes to health.
According to countyhealthrankings.org. Vigo County ranks 83rd out of the 92 counties in Indiana.
Some of the overall health concerns include smoking, obesity and overall way of life in the area.
News 10 spoke with one local mother who realized her health was becoming an issue so she decided to put on her running shoes and change her life.
Jessica Johnson struggled with her health for many years because of work and being a full-time mother.
"I'm a single mom with not much time, not much money, "said Johnson."So the only option I had was to get out and run. It helped just clear my mind and helped me mentally which then has had positive effects ripple affects with my family."
She started her fitness journey three years ago and adds that the choice was for herself and for her children.
"I had to get to a mindset myself where I was finally ready to commit to working on it and making a change," said Johnson.
LINK | INDIANA HEALTH RANKINGS
Registered dietitian, Sarah James told News 10 that's where it starts.
"There's no other solution other than you have to change. If you're doing nothing and then you add 25 percent then that's 25 percent more then you were doing the last time," said James.
James says people have to be accountable for their own actions.
"I'm not gonna make excuses, I have ten minutes here so I'm going to get out and do something," said Johnson.
She said for there to be any change it's up to the person to make that happen.
"People have to actually finally be ready and they can only get there themselves," Johnson told us.
- 'I realized I had to make a change' One local mother takes back her health by running
- 'It was between meth or my kids....I realized I had to make a change' How one mother took her life back after fighting an addiction
- Local citizens take youth mental health first aid training
- Local health group works to make sure adults stay healthy
- Local groups teaming up for Drug Take Back Day
- Clocks "falling back" could impact health
- Man moves into home listed in online scam, realizes he's living there illegally
- Bill Nye says it's time to grow up and realize "The planet's on f***ing fire"
- Make a difference: home run derby
- Local health center celebrations National Health Center Week