INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTTV) – Momentum continues to build at the Indiana Statehouse toward legalizing Sunday alcohol sales with the bill clearing another hurdle.
The House Public Policy Committee took a look at Senate Bill 1, the Senate version of the Sunday alcohol sales bill, on Wednesday. Chairman Ben Smaltz proposed an amendment that would change the effective date from July 1 to upon passage.
This means that Indiana residents would be able to take advantage of Sunday alcohol sales sooner than other laws that will go into effect on July 1.
SB 1 allows Sunday alcohols sales from noon to 8 p.m. at grocery stores, package liquor stores, convenience stores, drug stores and restaurants.
The committee voted to pass the bill with a 9 to 1 vote. This version of the bill now moves forward for the full House to vote on.
The Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers released the following statement following the House Public Policy Committee’s vote today:
“We are closer than ever to Sunday sales. The Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers applauds Chairman Smaltz and the House Public Policy Committee for approving Senate Bill 1, a landmark piece of legislation that will allow for the sale of alcohol for carry-out on Sunday for the first time since prohibition. This is an important milestone in the legislative process and we will continue to work directly with lawmakers to ensure that this issue continues to move through the legislature and is ultimately signed by the Governor. Indiana’s small business package liquor stores are eager to welcome our customers on Sundays should this law takes effect.”
*This story was originally published by WTTV in Indianapolis.
- House committee advances Sunday alcohol sales bill in 9-1 vote
- House committee approves Sunday alcohol sales bill in 12-1 vote
- Senate committee taking up Sunday alcohol sales, cold beer bills
- House, Senate committees to hear Sunday booze sales bills
- Indiana Sunday alcohol sales bill could take effect sooner
- Indiana Senate approves carryout Sunday alcohol sales bill
- Sunday alcohol sales now legal in Indiana
- House passes bill that would allow Sunday alcohol sales in Indiana
- House passes Sunday alcohol sales bill, leaving one remaining hurdle before getting to governor’s desk
- Indiana law on Sunday carryout alcohol sale likely to change