VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - You normally take a bridge to get to your destination...but soon, a historic bridge will be on the move itself.
On Tuesday, Vigo County Commissioners took steps to move the bridge on French Drive to a different location.
They say it's still in use...but in need of repair.
They plan to move it to the Prairie Creek Park, where it will serve as a walkway.
They will build a new bridge in its old spot.
Commissioners approved several parts of this process during Tuesday's meeting.
They told us they hope to preserve a big part of the county's history.
"I think it's neat to know that some of these old bridges, that were built in the 1800-1900s are still here," Commissioner Brad Anderson said.
There's no timeline for the completion of this project, they said they are still waiting on funding.
- Historic Vigo County bridge to make the move to a county park
- Historic Parke County bridge vandalized...again
- Work underway to save historic Vigo County covered bridge
- Vigo County Parks plans to fix Irishman's Bridge
- Vigo County Parks Department Making Syrup At Prairie Creek Park
- Community Spotlight: The Vigo County Historical Society
- Vigo County Historical Museum officially opens doors
- Vigo County Historical Society announces holiday hours
- Donation benefits Vigo County park
- Part of Vigo County bridge washes out